Wednesday 4 September 2013

Sourdough English Muffins

These were a bit tricksy due to the wetness of the dough, but they came out great.

I have a Cusinart panini style grille which opens out with flat griddle plates - it was perfect for doing these.  They came out great.  I pulled them gently apart with a fork and toasted under a really hot grill to make them good and crispy.

Music on: 'Tomorrow's Harvest' by Boards of Canada
Weather:  Beautiful sunny Saturday, late English summer is the best weather in the world

This made 19 muffins, we ate 2 straight off the griddle, toasted 2 for breakfast. I froze the rest (ready sliced) so can have muffins on demand.


2 ladles sourdough starter aka Boris (mine is a thick batter consistency)

2 teacups buttermilk (I reckon you could use milk, water, whatever you have)

4 teacups flour (I used basic white bread/strong flour)

1 tablespoon honey (I actually used maple syrup as was all out of honey)

1 tsp sea salt (I brought some home from Ile de Re which was is awesome)

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Semolina for dusting


You must start the day/night before to get the sourdough starter active.

Don't be a muppet, use a nice big bowl, this schizzle grows!

2 ladles of sourdough starter go into a bowl along with the 2 teacups of buttermilk (or other liquid).  Stir to combine.  If the starter is very thick, maybe thin it down, you're looking for a thin batter consistency.  Mine was like pancake batter I would say.

Add 4 teacups of flour to the batter.  I made simple white muffins (if it ain't broke) and stir well.

(this would be the time if you wanted to flair up the recipe with some nuts/seeds/fruit etc?)

Cover the bowl and leave overnight.

The next day, when ready, you'll see the wild sourdough monster has been active and should have expanded your dough considerably.

Throw your tsp of salt on top of the dough, along with the tsp of bicarb and the honey.  Roughly mix it all into the dough.

Oil your surface (I did this on a wooden worktop) well as this mix is pretty wet and empty out the bowl.  Knead to fully incorporate the extra ingredients.  This was very sticky so I worked quickly with oiled hands and kind of slapped it about until it held together pretty well.

Generously sprinkle some semolina on a plate or chopping board.  Divide the mix up to try and make blobs a little smaller than ping pong balls.  It's sticky, and therefore tricky.  Roll around in the semolina which should help take some of the stickiness away and place on a baking sheet.  I used a non-stick one - this is only while they prove a little but thought it would be easier to transfer them.

Leave for 45 mins to an hour under a damp (clean obviously) tea towel.

Towards the end of this time get a griddle on.  A frying pan would probably work just as well, I used a 'health grille' style bit of kit which worked great.

Carefully transfer to a medium hot griddle (I didn't use any oil/butter, but do so if you have sticking problems).  I used a fish slice for this.

Reckon I did about 5 mind each side, then threw in a warm oven while I did the rest - did the griddle action based on external appearance alone, on the theory that these would be toasted in any case, so if they were a little underdone that would be OK.

That's it.

Def use a fork to prise apart, every little mountain and valley is a crispy home for melted butter.

A pretty impressive breakfast with some fresh eggs.  I made a sort of hollandaise sauce with some mayo and tarragon.  I added a little turmeric for a little earthy flavour and nice yellow colour.  These were named Eggs Cumberbatch as they weren't quite genuine Benedict.

It was our wedding anniversary weekend.  I got brownie points.

Process photos to follow on next bake

No comments:

Post a Comment